- Imaginary Lines: Thanks A Lot, Oprah

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Thanks A Lot, Oprah

Damn it all, I always let her do this to me. I almost never, hardly ever, watch Oprah. But I always seem to find her when she has a show on depicting motherhood as akin to one of hell's inner rings. Yes, we all know that it isn't all it's cracked up to be, and we all stand ready to reaffirm Oprah's own life choices regarding motherhood, ready to tell her about our darkest moments and our deepest fears all wrapped up in what started out as a little demon disguised as an innocent newborn.

As a matter of fact, mine is doing a number on me right now. It might seem like he's just playing with the toilet, but it's really all part of the plan to make me lose my mind. I'm well on my way. Do you think the way he is pretending not to hear me say "no!" is just innocence?

Oprah had part 2 of her interview with Brooke Shields yesterday. We didn't know there was a part 2, of course, but it conveniently showed up after Brooke's Op-ed piece for the New York Times was printed last week. She was sticking her tongue out at the crazy, but still good-looking Tom Cruise, who emphatically denounced Brooke's use of anti-depressants to keep her from killing herself after her baby was born. Well, Tom knows best, I suppose.

I started taking Zoloft when my son was 6 months old. I never had any visions of him getting harmed in my care, and Lord knows I was about as far removed from negligent as any parent could get. My problem was that I was sure something terrible would happen to him the moment that he was out of my sight. A normal parental fear amplified, shall we say? Oh, and I also couldn't stop crying.

But then again, I am prone to depression anyway. As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of a bout of depression right now. When I have this baby, I'm going to start taking an anti-depressant again. In your FACE, Tom Cruise.

Unless, of course, Mr. Cruise would like to lend me one of his personal trainers and a nanny to allow me time with said trainer? Didn't think so.

What Oprah's show did for me yesterday is what most "informative" television shows are trying to do; it terrified me. It's difficult for anyone to hear about the terrible things women can sometimes do to their children, but when you are waiting for your own to pop out any day now, it's particularly upsetting to hear about other women who chop off their baby's arms.

I was still so upset (not to mention just exhausted) at bed time yesterday, I just started bawling my puffy red eyes out. My God, is that going to happen to me?

I know, she was doing a public service by bringing this subject to the fore via one of the beautiful people, because we all know nothing is really, really true until it effects the beautiful people, but I for one could have done without. Yeah, I could've changed the channel, in theory, but we all know that Oprah is one of the world's most powerful people. She just held me there, mesmerized.

What happens when one of the beautiful people cancels out what another of the beautiful people has said? It's too much for an average person like me to sort out. Maybe the world is populated by aliens. Maybe Brooke Shields should have just gone out for a 10K jog before her surgical wounds had the chance to heal. If she really wanted to be better, that is. If she only really understood the human psyche the way Tom Cruise does. If. Only.

"Tommy! Please--do not play with the toilet!" Ugh.

3 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Uggh, I know. I am so sick of everyone elses opinions and scare tactics! I am 36 weeks and have been taking welbutrin throughout trying to avoid what Brooke went through. Asshats like TC obviously have never been depressed, or pregnant!

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

xanax Infomation & side effects xanax what is the most important information i should know about xanax

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What other drugs will affect Celebrex? � Do not take ketoconazole (Nizoral) or itraconazole (Sporanox) during treatment with Celebrex without first talking to your doctor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home