- Imaginary Lines: 7-27-05, 6:06 AM, 8lbs. 7 ounces

Sunday, July 31, 2005

7-27-05, 6:06 AM, 8lbs. 7 ounces

There's a new redhead in town!

I was right with that last post and went into labor very early the next morning.

I woke up at about 3:30 AM trying to figure out if I was having contractions. I was, but they weren't very regular yet. Ed woke up at 4 and I told him that I thought we were going to have a baby today.

I decided to have a little bit of coffee with my husband because I still wasn't completely sure that I was in labor. He put a movie in and I decided to lay down on the couch. Suddenly, the contractions started coming fast and furious. This was about 4:30.

He called his mom to come over and watch Thomas, and I was telling her to take her time, no rush. Thank God she didn't listen to me!

Ed helped me take a shower and get dressed, by this time it was really difficult for me to do anything but sit on the floor on my hands and knees. Ed's mom got there a little after 5 and I was already yelling in pain and throwing up. She wanted to call an ambulance, but I thought I had plenty of time! I was in labor for 12 hours with Thomas!

Ed got me into the car and I beat on the car door the entire way to the hospital, as he drove through red lights and sped. I still kept saying it's okay! We've got time!

We drove up to the hospital entrance and Ed helped me out of the car. That's when my water broke. We got inside and they tried to tell us to go check in and register, but changed there minds when they saw me screaming and gushing fluids all over the floor. They got me a wheel chair and told me to sit down but I refused because it hurt too much. I knelt down on the wheel chair and they moved me to L & D that way.

They got me in the room and tried to strap all kinds of monitors on me, but I really didn't want anything to do with it. They wanted me to lay flat on my back to check my cervix, and again, I wasn't happy. Eventually, I complied and they told me I was 7. No drugs for this girl!

After they checked me I immediately wanted to flip back over on my hands and knees and ended up all tangled in the wires from the monitors. The nurse kept yelling at me, "we have to check the baby, you have to let us check the baby!" I just yelled back, "he's fine! He's kicking all over the place."

My doctor came in about 5 minutes later and I asked her if I was 10 centimeters. She said, "no, you're 12." Okay then.

Then I had to do the thing I was most terrified of, push out the baby without any pain killers. I screamed. A lot. They told me not to. Having a baby through incredible mind-numbing pain is a totally different experience than having one with an epidural. They had to tell me how to push all over again. Your mind just wants to run away from the pain somehow, but you can't. You have to manage to push through it. It was a difficult thing to wrap my mind around, but then your body just takes over and the pushing comes. Our bodies do know what to do, even when our minds don't.

After I finally got myself coordinated it took about 2 pushes to get him out, and they plopped him down on my belly and into my arms. What an incredible feeling. To have accomplished this task, and at the same time to be holding this warm beautiful baby in my arms. He is beautiful. He has hardly left my arms since the moment he was born.

And I only had to spend a 1/2 an hour in labor and delivery. Nothing wrong with that!

I am content, proud, and happy, in a way that I haven't been for months. The task of making this baby is finished. I have both of my beautiful boys and I know that I couldn't be more fortunate. I don't mind one bit that I can't get any sleep at night, every moment is so precious. I am a happy woman.

I will post pictures when I can!

14 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I am full-on crying now! I am SOOOO happy for you! Something told me after your last post that you were getting ready to have your little boy, and wow! That was a quick labor!

Can't wait to see those pictures! You are so blessed, Erin. :-)

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Jessigirl said...

I am so happy for you Erin! From knowing you through the hard months of wanting to be pregnant so badly and finally getting pregnant and having your little boy...it makes my heart so happy for you! Congratulations!!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Jen said...

my ENTIRE body is full of goose bumps!
ENTIRE body!
YES!! I know that feeling! The one where your mind wants to run as far away, but then you realize, it's you or nothing!
You have to think your way back into reality knowing that you HAVE to do it!
It's really an amazing accomplishment!
I'm proud of you! Not because you had a baby without drugs (but DAMN I know exactly what that pride feels like) but because you didn't WANT to do it without drugs and you made it through anyway!!
Congratulations! You are right, COMPLETELY different with vs without an epi!!
YAY!!!!!

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Jen said...

wait! What's his name?
Did I miss it?

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Sporty said...

Congrats Erin! That is such a great news. I want you to know that I have really enjoyed (for lack of a better word right now), being able to share in your TTC and pregnancy journey with you.

Congrats and I can't wait to see the pics!

Take care of yourself and the family,
Chas

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Lala said...

oh g-d, I'm stunned that I missed it and today is that day I was talking about. oh me me me me, sorry. Wow, I'm so impressed by you and your strength, did you have a noticeable transition? Questions, so many, so happy, so not making sense!! Tell me when I can come down and clean your bathrooms.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Wow! Congratulations!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Mrs. D. said...

I am so happy for you Erin... This is a great story (except the no drugs part... I am not sure how you did it!!!) Congratulations on finally being able to leave the TTC world and moving on to raising you perfect family! You are so blessed and I am so happy for you!

Thanks for sharing with us!

YAY RYAN!!!
~Jamie

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Liz Miller said...

Congratulations!

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Wow, I am so happy for you Erin. I have followed your blog through this pregnancy, and I am now going back and re-reading posts about your severe morning sickness, casue thats where I'm at. I just like knowing that you made it through. I can't wait to see pictures of the new little one! Take care and enjoy your bundle of happiness.
Heather M.

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delurking to offer congratulations! I hope the transition from only child to big brother goes relatively smoothly for your 2 yr old.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way late, having been out of town, but CONGRATS! Looking forward to pictures!

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is the little boy? I know you have been super tired and busy...

Can't wait to hear from you!

Jess

 
At 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nj car insurance
discount car insurance
car insurance quote online uk
new jersey car insurance
car insurance rate
low cost car insurance
auto cheap insurance
collector car insurance
norwich union car insurance
collector car insurance
cheap car insurance quote uk
classic car insurance
classic car insurance
diamond car insurance
car insurance
car insurance coverage
buy car insurance online
car insurance los angeles
best car insurance rate
state farm car insurance
cheap car insurance online
car insurance quote uk
young driver car insurance
car insurance los angeles
car insurance houston
in car insurance
auto cheap insurance
online car insurance
car insurance quote
online car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
young driver car insurance

 

Post a Comment

<< Home