- Imaginary Lines: An Irish Blessing

Thursday, March 17, 2005

An Irish Blessing

Yes, today is St. Patrick’s Day. I am almost a full-blooded Irish woman, well, except for the fact that my father’s mother has Welsh heritage, and my mom’s-dad’s-mom was French Canadian. Anyway, I have red hair and freckles, and my name is Erin for cryin’ out loud, so we won’t talk about the “others.”

When I was a little girl my mom would make us green oatmeal for breakfast on St. Patty’s day. My mom’s name is Patty, ‘cause today is her birthday. Green carnations, green frosting on birthday cake, the wearin’ o’ the green, etc.

If you don’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, you’ll be pinched by a leprechaun. ‘Tis true.

It used to be fun to go out and get smashed on St. Patrick’s Day. Well, okay, I had fun one time going out and getting smashed on St. Patrick’s Day. Isn’t that how all drinking memories are, though? It seems like you were having a great time, all of the time, but when you really think about it, there were only one or two times when it was actually fun. All of the other times you got too drunk and too sick, went home lonely and sad, and the bed spun ‘round and ‘round until you finally passed out. You just hoped it might be fun. Mostly it sucked and made you poor.

Tonight the family is going out to dinner for my mom’s birthday. There won’t be any raucous Irish music or heavy drinking, not for me anyway. But I will have a rowdy, almost 2-year-old on my arm, leg, head, or where-ever else he decides to climb. I just hope he doesn’t smack me in the face and knock my glasses clear across the room in a fit of rage as we’re heading toward our table like he did at the Red Robin last weekend. Boy, was that ever fun. For everyone watching. Never pull a boy away from the steering wheel of his arcade game. Not even for a balloon, crayons, and some chicken fingers.

I hope you all have a fabulous, lucky, smashing, green, warm, snow-melting, good-food-eating, no-toddler-smacking-but-lots-of-kissing, special kind of a St. Patrick’s Day today. I believe that is an old Irish blessing. Okay, so maybe it’s a new Irish blessing. Go to it!

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Jen said...

aww! I hope you had your special St Patty's day!
You're last paragraph made me laugh!
WE here had a fabulous(sickly), lucky(UNlucky), smashing(well, OK!), green(white?), warm(freezing!), snow-melting(at least 4 inches fell...hence the white), good-food-eating(cold take out pizza), no-toddler-smacking-but-lots-of-kissing(DEFINETLY), special kind of a St. Patrick’s Day today!
You're too cute!
Hey...email me anytime about the 2 boy thing!! Its really great, really it is! I'm so glad I have 2 boys, and really saying, "My boys" hasn't gotten old once!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home