- Imaginary Lines: AFP, Yeah You Know Me...

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

AFP, Yeah You Know Me...

I'm supposed to go in to the lab to have blood drawn for the alpha-fetoprotein screening test this week. I am feeling ambivalent.

On the one hand it can tell me that in all likelyhood, my baby is healthy and safe, which is probably the case. On the other hand, it could tell me that something is terribly, terribly wrong with my little wiggler, which makes me terribly, terrible anxious about having the test done at all. On my third hand, which sometimes comes in handy, it could come back with a result indicative of a problem, but not really mean anything at all, which is something that I do not want to go through.

My husband doesn't seem worried at all about it, and just thinks I should get it done. But I think it is easy for him to say because he won't even remember that I'm having the test unless I remind him again.

I did have the test done with Thomas, because I was younger and more eager to have them jab needles in my arms for every test they could think up on the spot. Or maybe I was just more innocent, and more sure that nothing bad could happen to me or my children.

So I'm ambivalent. What would you do? Have you had this test done during your pregnancies? Would you have the test done if you were pregnant? Keep in mind that I do not *believe* in having an abortion. It's not that I don't believe that they exists, like the tooth fairy or Santa Claus, I just do not believe that I ever want anyone to tell me that I have to make that choice, my choice being not to. Okey Doke?

4 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Jessigirl said...

Erin,

When I was pg with Ashton, I didn't have the test done. I figured that if he were to have a disability or illness when he was born I would love him just the same and there wasn't anything I could do about it while pg, so why spend the next 6 months worrying about something you can't change. That is how I handled it. GL! I know it is a tough choice. You just have to weigh out the pros and cons!! :oÞ

P.S. I hope that wasn't too assvicey!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Hi Erin,

I don't know much about testing in pregnancy. I have yet to make it that far. However, I do have two different friends who had false results. (One was told the baby had downs, the other was told the baby had cystic fibrosis.) Both are fine.

I guess I would weight whether or not this test gives false positives like others do and go from there. Really, I have no idea. I can't even imagine that kind of decision . . . I am still trying to decide if I should pee on a stick or not to pee on a stick. I have got a long way to go. :-)

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surfing through on Be.

I think that I did get that test done when I was pregnant. You have to make the decision that YOU and dh are most comfortable with. Good luck!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Lala said...

I think you should consider the fact that the main reason you're paranoid is because something bad has already happened and I don't think any of us take healthy babies for granted anymore. I don't think the test would be such a big deal to someone who had not suffered as you have. Try to see yourself in a more positive light, happy mana and all that crap and pretend that nothing is unnormal(my word). Go ahead and have the test because you're going to be fine, the baby will be fine and soon all four of you will be together.
There, I rammed that assvice right down there, didn't I?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home