- Imaginary Lines: My parents have 3 children

Friday, February 11, 2005

My parents have 3 children

and they are about to have 11 grandchildren. We were fruitful and multiplied, as any good Irish-Catholic family should.

My son, Thomas, is 4 years younger than any of his older cousins. When I was pregnant with him both my brother and my sister declared themselves done with having babies.

That was until my SIL got pregnant a month before I had Thomas (oops). When that baby was 5 months old she got pregnant again (oops, oops), with twins. A month prior to this she had also been pregnant (oops), but miscarried. She told me, still grieving over my own loss, that the miscarriage had been a blessing. Well, God had the last laugh over that one, reminding us that only He decides what's a blessing and what isn't, and bestowed upon them the miraculous twins. Identical twin girls, I might add. She wanted a boy, I might also add. (In your FACE, SIL). Four girls, and one boy. Oh, when they are teenagers. Ha, hahahahahahhahahhahahaha! (Did I mention that it was the same SIL whose advice for me when I was trying to get pregnant was, "Just come sit on my toilet, that's all it took for me!" What the fuck is that supposed to mean? Huh? WTF?)

Tonight at the hospital with my mother, my sister gave me the news that she is 8 weeks pregnant with her third child (four total between her and her husband).

What the hell is going on here? Monkey see monkey do? I thought they were DONE!

There's this teeny, tiny part of me that finds this annoying. I don't even know why, really. I guess I thought my children would be the little ones of the family (you know, babysitters a-plenty). Now there are rugrats running all over the place. Well, I'll probably be over it by morning.

Then there was this other little part of me that thought, "Oh God, if I have a miscarriage, I'm going to have to watch my sister go through her pregnancy, and it might just kill me." I really want to kick my own ass for even thinking a thought like that. I feel like my baby deserves better than to have me think that way. I mean, that's my child's life I'm talking about.

And I get to go through pregnancy right along side my big sister. I am truly blessed.

But know this!! If they keep poppin' out the babies, Auntie isn't going to keep on buying everyone birthday and Christmas presents. I don't even have a freakin' job. I thought it was bad already with birthdays every month of the year, but now we're starting to double up. February is the only month not yet claimed, and if the SIL goes a month early, even that won't be free anymore.

And if it gets really bad, I may not even bother to remember their names.

We're gonna be up to our necks in dirty nappies!

1 Comments:

At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, I have two sisters, my oldest has twin girls, they are now 12 years old. She has two others, another girl and a boy. My my other sister has two, a boy and a girl. They had their children and I have been a gift giving aunty all of their lives, I know what you mean. It get's expensive, I just wish they could be the same to my little boy! It is like I do not even have a child when it comes to them. They forget his Birthday every year and he is only 4, they did not see me in the hospital when he was born and never came to visit me until he was 6 months old, even though there is no ill feeling between us and we chat fine when I ring, they just do not think, full stop!. It's not even the present thing, it is the fact that they never bother to think of him. I have tried to make them become more involved in his life but as they live a few hours away it is considered too far to travel and it seems we are easily forgotten! My dh and I went to visit them every year, every holiday period or school break holiday but they NEVER returned the favour. I have not seen them for nearly 2 years now as they have not bothered to try and see me and I have decided I can't make the effort from this end forever and feel hurt all the time by there easy dismissal of my feeling of needing a REAL family. My middle sister rings occasionally but my oldest never does, I always ring her, they consider it fine to be like this and think it is very normal. Sad isn't it...and I can't change them... all I can do it love them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home